View Wildlife in Their Natural Habitat at Thung Salaeng Luang in Petchaboon with All New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
Because there are so many things to see, this week’s Amazing Road Trips with All New Mitsubishi Pajero sport is still in Petchaboon Province. This week we’re visiting Thung Salaeng Luang and Khao Takhian Ngo to view wildlife in their natural habitat and take amazing pictures of the sea of mist. Let’s go!
Get to Know Our Destination
Thung Salaeng Luang has been called Thailand’s Savannah and is the third largest national park in the country, spanning an area of 789,000 rai over Phitsanulok and Petchaboon. The name of the park is derived from the Salaeng Jai or the Button Seed tree, which grows in abundance in the area. The area was established as a national park on October 7, 1959 due to the pristine forest and abundant wildlife.
Khao Takhian Ngo has one of the most scenic views on Khao Kho and has been called the Fuji of Thailand with a 360-degree view of the sea of mist and breathtaking views.
Fun in the Sun
- View wildlife on both sides of the road, the most abundant of which are deer, and the beauty of the sun’s ray through the canopy of lush trees. If you’re lucky, you may get to see other rarer wildlife.
- Bike through the 15-kilometer scenic trail across the plain from Nong Mae Na to Thung Nang Phaya or ride through other trails in the national park. The park has bicycles for rent at 200 Baht a day.
- Pitch a tent and spend the night in the forest. If you bring your own tent, pay just 30 Baht per night to rent the space. If you want to hire a tent from the national park, it would cost 400-500 Baht per night for a 3-5 person tent. The national park also has 5 bungalows for rent at 2,000-4,000 Baht per night.
- Thung Salaeng Luang is a great destination all year round but if you’re looking for chilly temperatures, go in November-February. The rainy season from June-October will turn everything lush and green.
- If you want to pitch a tent at Thung Salaeng Luang, prepare your own food and beverages as there aren’t any available for sale.
How to Get There
From Rattanai Reservoir, drive towards Nong Mae Na until you reach a three-way intersection. Turn right and drive another 700 meters before turning left and reaching Thung Salaeng Luang. To get to Khao Thakian Ngo, drive back to the three-way intersection and drive straight for 2 kilometers. You will see a sign directing you up the hill.
Safe Driving Tips
For more information, please contact:
Phitsanulok Tourism Authority of Thailand Office
Areas of Jurisdiction: Petchaboon, Phitsanulok
209/7-8 Surasi Shopping Mall Boromtrailokanart Road Muang District
Phitsanulok Province 65000
Tel: 0 5525 2742-3, 0 5525 9907
Fax: 0 5523 1063